Saturday, March 17, 2012

We Never Rest!

Today was amazing, even though I didn't get enough sleep! I was up thinking about school, Nathan, my family and grandpa. My mind just wouldn't shut off. The day started out wonderfully because my friend from Texas and I booked our flights to Cairns! We are soooo excited, and now we just need to book the scuba diving at the reef. After booking the trip, we made our way to the Victoria Market and met up with our German friend. :) We each bought exotic fruit that we had never tried before. We bought lychees, strawberry kiwis, custard apples, and another fruit, but the name escapes me. The lychees looked like eyeballs, but they were extremely tasty! The custard apple was slimey on the inside, and it really really did NOT agree with me. Never again!!!!! The strawberry kiwis and the unknown fruit were pretty good and earned a pass. After visiting the market, my friends and I headed to the Melbourne Museum.  We went through a dinosaur exhibit, forest exhibit, animal exhibit and a mind and body exhibit! The mind and body exhibits were my FAVORITES! I saw a lot of cool information about the mind. It talked about language areas in the brain, illusions, psychological disorders, mental illness and medical intervention for mental illness. The Body exhibit was fantastic and my most favorite!!! All of the bones, tissue and organs were real, and they showed us old medical supplies. It showed us old x-ray machines, x-ray films,  processes that occur in the body, medical history and showed tissue with cancer in it. After exploring the Melbourne Museum, we laid in the sun at Federation Square, the city center for a couple hours. Then we stopped at a few cute shops, and we had Starbucks! I felt like I was at home! :D Then last but not least, we visited the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail) and had a night tour of the prison. It was sooo cool but extremely CREEPY. The jail has been shut down for years, but I felt like people were going to jump out of the cells and scare me. The tour was AMAZING, and the tour guide acted like he was an executioner. He yelled at us at the beginning and kind of made us feel like we were the prisoners. He guided us through the extremely dark/creepy jail using just a candle, and he would get up into people's faces when he would talk. He talked about many tragic events that happened in the jail, and told the story of the famous Australian convict, Ned Kelly. They had death masks of many of the prisoners, and he knew exactly what crime each committed. He would be talking to us in a cell, and we would hear doors close in other rooms. It made us jump out of our skins. The tour guide told us about the torture methods used and how life was for a prisoner. The jail was made to contain 180 prisoners and 400 prisoners were in the jail at one time, especially during the gold rush. After the tour was over, we had the opportunity to go into cells and look at artifacts from the jail. Many of cells contain death masks of the prisoners, who lived in that cell. It was a very interesting part of Australia's history, and I am glad that I went. After going through the tour and listening to the history of jail, I have made up my mind to be a very very very good girl. It scared me. THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment